Thursday, July 31, 2008

New Orleans Journal Continued...






New Orleans Day 5

Everyone was moving slow this morning. I’ve got a bunch of tired teens! We headed back to Carol’s house to start priming the outside. We finished the job, and were treated by Carol with some incredible, homemade gumbo. Great stuff!

Team Effort had is set up for all the groups to work half a day today, and have free time for the after noon and evening. After cleaning up, we headed to down town for some sightseeing and hanging out.


On our way to downtown, we stopped in the Ninth Ward to see the levees. It is always an emotional experience. Thinking about the destruction and lives lost... Last year was a feeling of hopelessness and deep sorrow. However, visiting again this year, and seeing little bits of progress, left me with a feeling of hope and restoration for the area. There were houses being worked on, and the progress, however little, was great to see.


That evening we hung out in the French Quarter and took our time browsing through Jackson Square. For dinner we hit the Hard Rock Café. For some weird reason, I have this compulsion to buy a Hard Rock t shirt in every new Hard Rock Café that I go to. I have always done that…. And I’m starting to have a pretty good collection! However, it doesn’t hold a candle to Chelsey’s… She has the same habit, and definitely has me whooped on the number of shirts. We had a great time at the restaurant – I sat with Kenneth, Chris and Devon. Devon drank sweet tea like a camel preparing for a long trip through the Sahara. The waiter finally pointed him in the direction of the tea dispenser and said get it yourself.
After dinner, we spent more time walking around… and found Urban Outfitters… which I liked to never get everyone out of! We probably spent over an hour looking at books, t shirts, etc… We spent time walking along the water front and just chilling out.

Later that evening we hit up Café Du Monde. One of my all time favorite coffee shops – downtown New Orleans, taking in the city atmosphere with coffee and bignets… Can’t beat it.

Back at the church, more UNO.

Quote of the day…maybe the week? “That’s raw.” Kenneth Tillman // all day everyday.

No comments: