
New Orleans Day 2
This morning, after a shower and getting ready, the Louisiana humidity slapped me in the face as soon as I stepped out the door. 7:45 am, and it is already suffocating.
The groups are stirring, readying themselves for work. The gym is pretty quiet and calm – perfect for getting my head together for the day. A little Crowder, a little weak coffee, a little quiet time and I’m ready to roll.
One of the cool things about this experience is the diversity of people we are staying with. One of the groups here are Presbyterian Asian Americans from New Jersey. I noticed this morning that everyone from their group was up, dressed, and having some hardcore devotional time on their own. After that, they had group devotion and prayer time. Their disciplined approach to the week is great – I hope my group sees it…J
We are working across the city from where we were last year. We passed the vacant lot on Elysian Fields that we worked at. We are working a neighborhood that groups have been working on all summer, and it is progressing nicely. It is cool to be part of a larger picture like that. Color is coming back to houses, yards are being cleaned up. Up and down the street you see groups busy working on houses around the area. I imagine just the simple act of adding a fresh coat of paint is a nice mental and emotional uplift.
We started, and got a pretty good way into the day, and a good portion of the house painted…and the owner decided she was not happy with the color of the house. I was a little ticked at first to say the least – we had made a lot of progress, and now were about to have to start over. But then the thought occurred to me… this lady lost everything…is it really so much to ask that she truly like the color of her house? Realizing all over again that it wasn’t about us, we worked on.
On the way back to the church, we stopped at a gas station for some needed cold drinks. I am always amazed at the ability my teens have to create a ruckus everywhere they go. Where ever we are, we are ALWAYS the loudest, craziest, messiest and on and on… I guess it’s a reflection of my leadership…J At least there is never a dull moment. I’d rather have a group with ample personality than one with none at all.
Quote of the day: “Someone dropped they pickles…that’s not cool…” Chris James//Lunch Day 2
This morning, after a shower and getting ready, the Louisiana humidity slapped me in the face as soon as I stepped out the door. 7:45 am, and it is already suffocating.
The groups are stirring, readying themselves for work. The gym is pretty quiet and calm – perfect for getting my head together for the day. A little Crowder, a little weak coffee, a little quiet time and I’m ready to roll.
One of the cool things about this experience is the diversity of people we are staying with. One of the groups here are Presbyterian Asian Americans from New Jersey. I noticed this morning that everyone from their group was up, dressed, and having some hardcore devotional time on their own. After that, they had group devotion and prayer time. Their disciplined approach to the week is great – I hope my group sees it…J
We are working across the city from where we were last year. We passed the vacant lot on Elysian Fields that we worked at. We are working a neighborhood that groups have been working on all summer, and it is progressing nicely. It is cool to be part of a larger picture like that. Color is coming back to houses, yards are being cleaned up. Up and down the street you see groups busy working on houses around the area. I imagine just the simple act of adding a fresh coat of paint is a nice mental and emotional uplift.
We started, and got a pretty good way into the day, and a good portion of the house painted…and the owner decided she was not happy with the color of the house. I was a little ticked at first to say the least – we had made a lot of progress, and now were about to have to start over. But then the thought occurred to me… this lady lost everything…is it really so much to ask that she truly like the color of her house? Realizing all over again that it wasn’t about us, we worked on.
On the way back to the church, we stopped at a gas station for some needed cold drinks. I am always amazed at the ability my teens have to create a ruckus everywhere they go. Where ever we are, we are ALWAYS the loudest, craziest, messiest and on and on… I guess it’s a reflection of my leadership…J At least there is never a dull moment. I’d rather have a group with ample personality than one with none at all.
Quote of the day: “Someone dropped they pickles…that’s not cool…” Chris James//Lunch Day 2
No comments:
Post a Comment